Thursday, March 16, 2017

Building Walkure - a German aeronef part 3

The Grand Finale to Part 1 and Part 2

Here the propellers are fastened onto their magnet mountings. Zeppelins rarely had their engines fixed outside their hulls, because maintenance in the air would be too complicated. Instead, the engines were built into the hull and drove the props through an crank shaft. I decided to follow this as well, since that would result in smaller prop mounts. 

The material are plastic ends of closet rolls I collected some years ago because of their interesting shape. 

VSF of course means rivets. Lots of rivets. Insane amounts of rivets. Mind-boggling.... sorry. SO. Rivets. Quite a lot. Punched out of plasticard and glued in place one by one using a pin and a drop of superglue to dip them in.

Spraypainting as we go along. I was very lucky with the weather.

Some wheelhouse furniture: the telegraph.

 Here she is after attaching on the zeppelins and finishing painting the hull.

And here she is completely finished. Mast, tail fins and prop mountings are removable for storage and transport. The mast gained a crosspiece to accommodate both of the pretty flags a pal sent me. Nameplates, manufacturer's plates on the boiler and classic Imperial crosses were made from prints. Some hatches were made from plasticard as I found the deck a bit empty.

The dying hobby of scrap-booking provided me with a nice bow ornament.

And there she goes, to conquer Barsoom!